Strawberry Cream Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries sliced (reserve 3-5 Strawberries for topping)
- 1/4 cup sugar for strawberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar for whipping cream
- 1 (8oz) container cream cheese whipped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk and vanilla and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for one minute.
- Beat in egg whites one at a time.
- On low speed, alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, ending with the flour.
- Spread into pans and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to cooling rack.
- While cake is baking, put strawberries and sugar into a large bowl, stirring occasionally, mashing a little.
- Whip the cream with sugar until firm.
- Spread the whipped cream cheese over the bottom layer of cake.
- Layer half the berries and juices on bottom cake and cover with cream.
- Place the second cake layer on top, and cover with remaining berries and their juice.
- Cover the whole cake with remaining cream.
- Slice reserved strawberries in half and arrange on top of the cake.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!