This hearty ham and bean soup is perfect for a cold winter day. Guaranteed to warm you up!
I love making soup this time of year. On a cold day it’s so nice to come home to soup cooking. This is great to make if you have some leftover ham you were cooking over the holidays.
You can make this soup your own. This recipe is just a starting point. Feel free to add any veggies you like or spices to give it a unique taste that suits you. This is great to feed a crowd. The recipe can easily be doubled. Ham and bean soup is also kid friendly if your kids are ok with beans. This boasts lots of flavor!
Check out more amazing –> RECIPES
Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 cup water
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 2 15.5 oz cans dark red kidney beans drained
- 1 15.5 oz can light red kidney beans drained
- 1 15.5 oz can white kidney beans drained
- 3-4 cup ham cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tssp parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 min. more.
- Add in the water and chicken stock, all the drained beans, ham and seasonings.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.