Apple season is here! What better way to store all those extra apples than as apple pie filling that you can thaw out and use at any time!
Check out more delicious – RECIPES
Freezer Apple Pie Filling
- 24 cups sliced peeled baking apples 6-7 lbs
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 1/2 cups sugar (I used half brown sugar, half white sugar)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven (large kettle works) over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 ½ hours. Seal and freeze; store for up to 12 months.
Okay, here are my tips. Instead of quart jars, I use gallon-sized freezer bags. Let the filling cool a bit before filling the bags (one quart per bag) and then flatten the bag to freeze it. This way, you can stack the “boards” of filling in your freezer and slide one out when needed. Less space needed, and thethawing time is shorter. After thawing, I heat mine up on the stove or in the microwave before putting it in my pie crust, and dot it with butter before sealing the top crust. Along the same lines, you can stack and freeze your pie crusts. Roll them in your 8 or 9″ circles between wax paper, and stack them together in one of those two gallon freezer bags. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!