This is the best coconut cream pie I have ever eaten – no joke! Delicious rich creamy texture and toasted coconut on top is the perfect dreamy dessert!
You’ll love this dreamy coconut cream pie recipe! Its so easy to make and simply delicious! Perfect for any holiday or special occasion when you want to make a great pie! Also great to go with a cup of coffee or tea for a sweet snack. This will definitely satisfy that sweet craving. The rum is a great addition but yes you can omit if needed. Gives it that extra flavor!
Check out more amazing -> RECIPES
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 - 9 inch Prebaked Pie Crust 23 cm
- 1 1/2 cups dried coconut (sweetened or unsweetened shredded or flaked), divided, 360 ml
Coconut Cream Filling:
- 1 cup whole milk divided, 240 ml
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk 360 ml
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar 165 grams
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 35 grams, corn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter diced, 28 grams
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rum optional
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream 240 ml, contains 35-40% butterfat
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar or to taste, powdered or icing
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Spread your dried coconut on a baking sheet and bake for about 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Watch carefully and stir the coconut a few times so it bakes evenly. After removing from oven and let cool before using.
Coconut Cream Filling
- In a medium-sized saucepan bring the milk (minus 1/4 cup (60 ml)) and the coconut milk just to boiling (bubbles form around the outside edge of saucepan.)
- Then in a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) of milk. In another small bowl whisk the sugar with the cornstarch (corn flour) and salt.
- Add the sugar mixture to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. When the milk just starts to boil, remove from heat and, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking, slowly add the milk to the egg mixture. (If you do get a few pieces of cooked egg, pour through a strainer.)
- Then pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for another 30 - 60 seconds or just until it becomes thick. (The filling starts out quite thin but will thicken as it cooks. When it comes to a boil it may be a little lumpy. Stir vigorously and the lumps with smooth out.)
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the butter, vanilla extract and rum (if using). Gently stir in 1 cup (240 ml) of the toasted coconut. Pour into the baked and cooled pastry crust, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours (or overnight) or until firm.
- Put your mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Then beat the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract just until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe the whipped cream over the filling.
- Garnish with the remaining toasted coconut.