Looking for a yummy breakfast cake for your morning coffee? This blueberry buttermilk one is the easiest you’ll ever make!
This is a moist breakfast cake that is so easy to make! The blueberries really give this an amazing flavor! The buttermilk gives it a nice texture.
If you don’t have buttermilk:
Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
Let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes, so the milk has a chance to thicken and curdle. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for. This works with non-dairy milks, too. So, if you only have soy milk or almond milk in the fridge, that’s fine. But you’ll want to stick to an unflavored variety.
This recipe is from Amanda Stortz – thanks Amanda!
Check out more awesome – RECIPES
Breakfast Cake With Blueberries and Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 large lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar plus a couple tablespoons to sprinkle
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see notes to make your own
- 1 tablespoon sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350. Place butter, lemon zest and sugar into mixing bowl and cream together.
- Add one egg and vanilla then mix. In a separate bowl, coat blueberries in 1/4 cup of flour. Separately, whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Take the flour mixture and add it to your batter a bit at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. After that is combined you can then fold in blueberries.
- Grease a 9 inch square baking pan with butter or spray. I like to use parchment paper on top of the grease, this is optional.
- Pour your batter into the pan. You can then sprinkle some extra sugar on top. I usually use a couple tablespoons.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until done. Make sure you check the cake with a toothpick in the center, it should come out clean when inserted.