I get so many requests for Amish Friendship Bread recipe! It can be hard to find so make sure you share or pin it!
I get so many requests for this amazing recipe! Everyone is raving about it online! Starter bread can be frozen up to a month. It is meant to be shared with friends so make this and then share some of the starter with your friends so that they can make it too! Everyone loves it.
This bread seems like a long process but it is well worth it! Once you get this started it’s really easy to keep it going!
You can also use apple sauce instead of oil if you like for a moist bread.
*Options and variations for Amish Friendship Bread:
Chocolate Bread- Omit the Cinnamon & Vanilla Pudding
Add 2 tsp Cocoa
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1 Large Box Instant Chocolate Pudding
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread- Omit Cinnamon & Vanilla Pudding Mix
Add 1 Large Box Instant Lemon Pudding
1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
To make 2 different loaves, omit cinnamon & large box of pudding, divide dough in half. Use a small box of instant pudding mix of choice per loaf.
Make sure you pass along this recipe so someone else can make this bread too!
Check out my amazing -> RECIPES
Live pain free with this amazing product -> HempWorx CBD Oil
Amish Friendship Bread With Starter Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast 1 package
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk Do Not Use Metal Bowl Or Metal Utensils
- 1 cup starter
- 1 cup oil
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
- nuts optional
- raisins optional
- dates optional
- cinnamon sugar
- Combine yeast and water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a 2 quart plastic, glass, or ceramic container, or in a gallon size zip lock bag, combine sugar and flour. Mix well. Add to this the milk and yeast mixture. If using a bowl, mix ingredients well and cover loosely.
- If using zip lock bag, seal tightly and squish bag Until well mixed. Leave on a counter; do not refrigerate mixture during fermentation process.
- Stir starter with wooden spoon, or squish bag daily.
- If using a bag, open to let air out and reseal.
- Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mix well.
- Stir starter with wooden spoon or squish bag daily.
- Stir in 1 and 1/2 cup flour, 1 and 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 and 1/2 cup milk. Mix well.
- Remove 2 cups starter mixture to make your bread ( recipe follows), And keep one for yourself to start process again.
- Divide the remainder starter mixture into 1 cup portions to give to friends along with a copy of this recipe, or store in the refrigerator and begin the 10 day process over again skipping day 1, starting at day 2.
- You can freeze the starter in 1-cup measures for later use.
- Frozen starter takes 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.
- If the starter isn’t passed on the 10th day be sure to date the bag so the friend can determine where they are in the process.
- In a large non metallic bowl combine starter, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon , and vanilla pudding mix. Add to starter mixture, and mix well.
- At this point add your nuts, raisins, or dates. About 1 cup total.
- Grease 2 loaf pans and sprinkle bottoms liberally with the cinnamon sugar.
- Pour the batter into loaf pans, and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 325* for 1 to 1 ½ hrs or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.